Internet marketing is any type of marketing activity done online. This definition gets a bit more complicated when you break down the broad term “Internet marketing” into its various subcategories. Still, it’s important to understand what your options are so you can take advantage of your available online marketing opportunities. Here’s a closer look at the types of Internet marketing that matter most today, brought to you by the experts at Saba SEO, one of the leading Internet marketing companies in San Diego.
Social Media Marketing (SMM)
With social media marketing, you use platforms such as Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram to connect with people likely to be interested in what you have to offer. SMM can be further broken down as organic or paid.
• Organic SMM – You use content in your various social posts to generate interest, build and sustain relationships, and inspire brand loyalty.
• Paid SMM – Some of the bigger social platforms have sponsored or promoted ad options. For example, Facebook has dedicated ads based on specific online marketing objectives.
Search Engine Optimization
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of optimizing your website and online content so it attracts the right kind of attention, both from search engines such as Google and Bing and from human searchers. In a nutshell, you want your brand or products to be front and center on search engine results pages (SERPs). This goal is achieved with a combination of SEO techniques, including:
• Target keywords
• Content that includes text, images, and video
• On-page SEO – Referring to what you do on your website to appeal to searchers
• Off-page SEO – Referring to the things you do outside your website that convince searchers to check out your website, such as paid ads, blogs and social media posts, and getting links from other sites that point back to your site (backlinks)
Content marketing can be defined as the creation and distribution of various materials online. In addition to what’s included on your website’s various pages, content marketing also includes:
• Blogs and social media posts
• Videos and podcasts
• Case studies, white papers, and PDF files
• E-books and webinars
Influencer and Affiliate Marketing
With influencer marketing, you reach out to “influential” people online and ask them to promote your products, recommend your brand to their followers, or include a link back to your website. Affiliate marketing is a setup where a commission is earned by others who promote your products online.
Email marketing is the process of sending electronic messages directly to certain customers. The key to successful email marketing is creating mailing lists composed of people (e.g., recent or past customers or people who’ve recently visited your website and provided their email info) likely to be interested in what you include in your emails. What’s great about email marketing is the ability to customize your email content based on individual interests and preferences.
Pay-per-click (PPC) is the most common form of paid advertising, and it means you’re paying for each click back to your website that your ad inspires. Google Ads is the most famous platform for PPC. They also use keyword data to place your ads in front of searchers likely to be more responsive. Facebook has a similar platform. Some other social platforms, such as Twitter and YouTube, have their own unique paid ad options. Other than clicks, paid ad platforms sometimes charge advertisers based on:
- Cost per thousand impressions – You pay for every thousand views your ad gets
- Cost per action – You pay for each desired action taken that your ad inspires
- Cost per view – You pay each time your visual content is viewed
Just because there are different types of Internet marketing doesn’t mean you have to use each one, especially if you’re a smaller business with limited resources. Once you’ve defined your online marketing goals and your target audience, you’ll be able to benefit from a comprehensive strategy that includes a combination of Internet marketing options more in line with your goals.
If you need help with your Internet marketing efforts, turn to Saba SEO. Our experts can help you develop a marketing strategy for your business that is sure to boost your online presence. For almost fifteen years, we’ve helped organizations all over the world increase their search engine rankings and develop strong brand images. We also offer industry-leading social media management, SEO, PPC, web development, and SEO services. San Diego businesses should reach out to one of our digital marketing experts today at 858-277-1717.