Nearly 30 percent of all websites are powered by WordPress, which means it must have some serious ranking power. However, many businesses prefer creating a more personalized site than using an open source website creation tool. The San Diego SEO specialists at Saba SEO discuss the merits and drawbacks of WordPress and customized HTML sites as well as their significance in search engine optimization.
While you may have strong opinions on both sides of the WordPress vs. HTML site debate, Google treats both types of websites the same. You don’t automatically get a leg up on your HTML competitors simply by having a WordPress-powered website, but there are some WordPress advantages and disadvantages to consider.
Benefits of WordPress
The biggest advantage of WordPress is the ability to quickly get a site up and running. Plus, you’ll have access to several plugins and other tools. The WP framework is built for speed, which can boost your online ranking. Additional WordPress website advantages include:
• Access to responsive themes that allow for optimal viewing on any size screen
• SEO plugins that allow you to instantly cover many important SEO bases
• An admin console that makes it easy to present fresh content
• Convenient web maintenance options
Disadvantages of WordPress
Not all potential WordPress disadvantages have to do specifically with SEO, and some of them could affect how your site operates and impacts user experience. While there are many wonderful WP themes and plugins, there may be times when you can’t find the features you prefer. If this is the case, you’ll have to either accept whatever is available or pay to have plugins or themes created per your specifications. Other potential WP disadvantages include:
• WP itself requires regular maintenance
• Plugins, themes, and content also have to be updated
• The risk that updating some plugins could cause others to stop working
• Increased susceptibility to security risks since major security issues may immediately tempt hackers to attack multiple WP sites
• Lack of customization options if you go with a WordPress.com site that has a domain.wordpress.com URL instead of a WordPress site
Pros & Cons of Custom HTML Sites
A personalized HTML site is created with custom code to allow it be designed in any way that’s right for your needs and preferences. For instance, you can have a fully animated site with fancy scrolling features and other bells and whistles. The following pros and cons are associated with HTML sites:
• Full SEO control – If you want to maintain full control over your SEO, a customized HTML website is the best option for you. However, this type of website isn’t a good idea if you’re planning to outsource your SEO function to ensure regular updates and fix site-related issues.
• Development costs – A well-designed HTML site is a major investment that can be worth it if you get the desired results. However, if you have a limited budget, you may end up with a site similar to what you could have gotten with WP for free.
• Security vulnerabilities – Security on a customized website is largely dependent on the skills of your developer, which could present potential security issues if there are overlooked security holes.
• More manual work – A content management system (CMS) like WP makes it easier to create and publish content. On a custom-created HTML site without a CMS, you’ll need to do a lot of manual work, which can be time-consuming.
Choosing the right website for your business will depend on your specific needs, goals, and available budget. If all you need is a simple website that can be easily set up and maintained, you’ll likely appreciate a WordPress site. If you need a more complex site that’s highly personalized for your brand and business model, you may get a decent ROI on a customized HTML site. Regardless of which option you prefer, you still need to keep best SEO practices in mind to maintain your online visibility and get the desired website performance results.
Whether you want a fully optimized WordPress or a customized HTML website, let the experts at Saba SEO help you out. We are among the best San Diego SEO Company, with over ten years of professional experience in web development and search engine optimization. Our team can help you create a highly responsive website with the fastest page loading time, as well as unique content with high ranking keywords that is sure to boost your online visibility and conversion rates. To talk to one of our web development experts, give us a call at 858-277-1717 today.