In SEO terms, breadcrumbs are navigation features that can play a role in how visitors interact with your website. When used correctly, breadcrumbs can reduce your site’s bounce rate, keep visitors engaged, and even encourage more website visits. The experts at Saba SEO, a premier San Diego SEO company, invite you to take a moment to learn more about breadcrumbs and why they’re important for SEO.
What Exactly Are Breadcrumbs?
Breadcrumbs normally appear as a menu at the top of a page, and it remains fixed as users visit different pages of the same website. They allow visitors to quickly get back to the homepage or whatever page they wish to jump to. All categories in the menu are clickable. Common types of breadcrumbs include:
• Hierarchy-based breadcrumbs – Choices are displayed in order, from the homepage to the other main selections.
• Dynamic breadcrumbs – Typically used when products featured have several attributes so visitors can pick what they want without having to leave the current page.
• History-based breadcrumbs – User-based breadcrumbs based on pages a website visitor has checked out.
Why Are Breadcrumbs Good for SEO?
Breadcrumbs are important for SEO because they help search engine crawlers with the indexing part of optimization. Crawlers are advanced enough today that they can use breadcrumbs to develop a better understanding of your site. Google also displays breadcrumbs instead of the permalink page on search engine results because they just look better when displayed. As for how to make breadcrumbs work for your site, make sure to:
• Make breadcrumbs visible to all website visitors
• Make your breadcrumbs mobile-friendly with appropriately sized fonts
• Add breadcrumbs to schema markup to help crawlers understand their structure
Breadcrumbs also have the potential to contribute to a better overall user experience. They can even make your search snippets more appealing to Google, which is also good for your website’s performance on search engines. And with a little creativity, breadcrumbs can work well with practically any website design.
Tools like breadcrumbs can be challenging for some people to use without the assistance of experienced SEO experts. If you’re looking to boost your search results with state-of-the-art techniques, call on the SEO specialists at Saba SEO. As an industry-leading SEO company in San Diego, we have more than a decade of experience in search engine optimization, website design and development, and social media marketing. To learn more about how we can help you enhance your SEO strategy, reach out to us today at 858-277-1717.