If you regularly advertise on Facebook, you’re well aware that ad sizes frequently change on this popular social platform. This constant tweaking may be frustrating to ad buyers, but it’s likely done because of a desire to keep the platform’s nearly 2 billion users happy while also allowing advertisers to target specific audiences. Below, you’ll find a guide to Facebook’s ad sizes for 2020, brought to you by Saba SEO, a premier provider of Internet marketing service in San Diego.
Not surprisingly, video ads are popular on Facebook, especially with mobile viewers. With video, Facebook suggests uploading ad content with vertical or square aspect ratios that allow for optimal compatibility with both desktop and mobile screens. As for length, Facebook suggests nothing more than 15 seconds. Additional video ad recommendations include:
- Feed and Instant Article videos – 1280 x 720 pxls., 9:16-16:9 ratio, 4 GB file size max., video length 1 sec.–240 mins.*
- In-stream videos – 16:19 recommended ratio (although 9:16 is supported), 4 GB file size max., 5 secs. min. length, 15 secs. max. length
- Marketplace videos – 9:16-16:9 ratio, 4 GB file size, 1 sec.–240 mins. length range.
- Story ad videos – 1.91:1-9:16 ratio, 4 GB max. file size, max. length 2 mins.
- Video feeds – 16:9 to 9:16 ratio, 4 GB max. file size, max. length 240 minutes, min. length 1 sec.
*Facebook suggests using the highest resolution possible for all videos used with ads.
At the very least, your ads on Facebook should include images. Images are important because customers often prefer to see what’s offered before making a decision. Facebook’s recommended image ad sizes for 2020 include:
- Feed images – 1200 x 628 pxls., 476 pxls. min. width, 249 pxls. min. height, 9:16 to 16:9 aspect ratio
- Right-column images – 1200 x 628 pxls., 254 pxls. min. width, 133 pxls. min. height, 9:16 to 16:9 AR
- Instant Articles and Marketplace images – 1200 x 628 pxls., 1200 x 1200 pxls. (with link), 254 pxls. min. width, 133 pxls. min. height, 9:16 to 16:9 AR, min. AR 191 x 100
- Story images – 1200 x 628 pxls., 500 pxls. min. width, 9:16 to 16:9 AR, min. AR 90 x 160, max AR 191 x 100
- Search results images – 1200 x 628 pxls., 1080 x 1080 pxls. (with link), min. width 500 pxls., AR 1.91:1, min. width/height 600 pxls.
These are ads that show up to 10 videos/images per ad. They can appear in multiple locations on Facebook, but it’s best to keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Feed, right-column, Instant Articles, and Marketplace carousels – 1080 x 1080 pxls., 30 MB file size max., 1:1 ratio, 2-card minimum, 10-card maximum*
- Stories carousels – 1080 x 1080 pxls., 30 MB max. file size, 1:1 recommended ratio, 500 pxls. min. width, 3-card minimum, 3-card maximum
*With images containing more than 20 percent text, you could experience reduced video delivery.
For carousel-style search results, Facebook suggests a resolution of 1080 x 1080 pixels with a maximum image file size of 30 MB, a ratio of 1:1, a 2-card minimum, and a 10-card maximum.
Clicking the video for a collection ad will produce a full-screen display. However, you can add call buttons, text, and other useful features. With feed collections, Facebook suggests:
- Vertical ads be cropped at a max 1:1 ratio
- Pixels be 600 x 600
- The max aspect ratio be 1:1
It’s estimated that one out of every five digital ad dollars is spent on Facebook ads, so it’s important to be aware of ad size guidelines. While these are technically recommendations, it’s a good idea to take Facebook’s suggestions to heart if you want to optimize your ROI in a way that’s effective and not distracting.
Whether you need a social media specialist or a web design expert, call on Saba SEO. As one of the top marketing companies in San Diego, we have more than a decade of experience with social media campaigns, website development, and search engine marketing. We can create a compelling social media presence for your business and provide high-quality content that’s certain to boost your online ranking. Give us a call at 858-277-1717 to talk to one of our web design experts.