Facebook Pixel

Retargeting: What It Is & How to Use It

What is Retargeting, and How Do You Use It? in San Diego, CA

First impressions matter, but they don’t always lead to conversions when it comes to website visits. In fact, only 2 percent of searchers actually take the desired action when first visiting a site. The other 98 percent either take a look around and leave or add a few items to their cart without completing the checkout process. Retargeting refers to a marketing strategy that targets your non-converting traffic. San Diego SEO professionals share the basics of this digital marketing strategy.

How Does Retargeting Work?

Retargeting works by using an unobtrusive piece of JavaScript code known as a pixel, which is a cookie-based technology that anonymously tracks visitors to your website after they leave. The code, which won’t affect your site’s performance, produces an anonymous browser cookie every time someone comes to your site. Your retargeting provider will use those cookies to know when to present ads to non-converting visitors as they browse online. The process works in the following way:

  • Potential customers come to your site
  • They leave without checking out
  • They search for other items online later
  • Your ad appears and reminds them of what you have to offer
  • They come back to your site and (hopefully) complete a purchase

When Does It Work?

Retargeting isn’t a standalone marketing strategy. While you may be able to increase conversions with retargeting, it’s not what’s going to drive traffic to your website in the first place. It works better when it’s part of a comprehensive marketing strategy that includes:

  • Organic search and SEO
  • Paid search with highly targeted keywords
  • Relevant content specific to your intended audience

A lot of businesses concentrate their efforts on attracting new customers. However, there are plenty of potential customers out there who already have some interest in what you have to offer. With some gentle nudging, some of those visitors can turn into happy customers. Don’t forget to pay attention to customers that already made purchases as well since marketing today is more about building relationships than simply making a sale.

If you need help retargeting potential customers, turn to Saba SEO, a leading web design company in San Diego. In addition to retargeting, we offer a range of solutions that can boost your online visibility, such as search engine optimization and paid marketing. Our experts can create a comprehensive digital marketing plan that can result in more clicks and conversions for your business and increase your online ranking. To learn about our premier SEO plans and packages, call us at 858-951-1717 today.